I am asked by cultural organisations, libraries, schools and universities to give workshops or participate to panels to talk about my work as a translator and about comics and literature in general. Below is a list of events I have recently participated too, as well as a video of my participation to a talk about Translating off the page (one of my favourite topics!) at the London Book Fair in 2013. I also chair events in a variety of topics within my remits. I am always happy to participate to events I believe I can make a contribution to, so do get in touch if you think you'd like to work with me.
TALKS, Panels & Conferences
- Bilingual digital writers: Lou Sarabadzic and Canan Marasligil in conversation, Multilingual Authorship Conference, University of Lancaster, 8 March 2018.
- Spoken Column: "Can we read at everything under the pretext that it is art?" at the Café Le Faux-Rire, COBRA Museum of Modern Art, Amstelveen, 16 February 2018.
- In conversation with Samira El Ayachi at the Melting Potch Festival in Lille, 9 December 2017.
- Panelist at various talks at the Forum on Comics and Translation "It's Not Just in the Bubble" during Translate Singapore, September 2017.
- Poetry Translation Summer Tour with Turkish-speaking poets Karin Karakaşlı and Bejan Matur, various events and talks in June 2017.
- Panelist at Apéro Poésie : Écrire Asli (on Asli Erdogan and Freedom of Expression in Turkey) in Brussels, 19 January 2017.
- Panelist at D'un pays l'autre : La condition du traducteur in Lille, 11 October 2016.
- Panelist at The View from Turkey PEN Atlas event in London, 19 September 2016.
- Speaker at the Mass Assembly conference in Dundee, 26 May 2016.
- City in Translation at the International Literature Forum organised by Literature Across Frontiers in Aberystwyth (Wales), 15 and 16 April 2016.
- City in Translation at the Multilingual Creativity Lab, Free Word Centre, 30 November 2015.
- Europalia Turkey - Crime and the City: Writers Ahmet Ümit and Pascale Fonteneau in conversation, Hotel de Ville de Bruxelles, 29 October 2015. (moderator)
- Comics VS Freedom, with Sepideh Jodeyri and Karrie Fransman, Dundee Literary Festival, 24 October 2015. (moderator)
- Translation as Resistance, Plenary Lectures in Translation, City University London, 1 October 2015 at 18:30.
- Talk on "Comics are made everywhere. By and for everyone", University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 12 and 13 May 2015.
- "City in Translation", Circulating Critical Practices Workshop, Museum of Contemporary Art Barcelona MACBA, Barcelona, 25 April 2015.
- Translating Comics, seminar at International Translation Day, London, 26 September 2014. (chair)
- Translators in School, Professional Development Day, 26 November 2013, Free Word Centre. (speaker)
- Comixiade book launch, panel on Comics from Europe, Middle East and North Africa, American Book Centre TreeHouse, Amsterdam, 03 November 2013. (panelist)
- Reframe exhibition launch, panel on Comics from Turkey, Algeria and the UK. Free Word Centre, 23 October 2013. (speaker, organiser)
- To Foreword or Not to Foreword – A Debate. International Translation Day, British Library, London, 30 September 2013. (panelist)
- We have a Voice! The students I’ve been working with on storytelling and comics presented their work at Free Word Centre, 23 May 2013. (presenter and organiser)
- Me and Comics, Laydeez do Comics, Foyles Charing Cross, London, 20 May 2013. (speaker)
- My Voice, Your Voice. A conversation with Perihan Mağden, Free Word Centre London, 15 April 2013. (organiser and chair)
- Page and Screen in Turkey: Competitors or Collaborators? London Book Fair, 16 April 2013. (chair)
- Translating Off the Page: the evolving role of literary translators. London Book Fair, 17 April 2013. (panelist)
- Turkish Crime Writing, Edinburgh City Library, 19 April 2013. (chair)
- “Introduction to Algerian Comics.” Istanbul International Comics Festival, Institut Français of Istanbul, Turkey, 23 May 2012. (organiser and chair)
- “Mission 2062. CLI workshop about the future of culture.” British Council France, Paris, 22-24 March 2012. (selected participant)
- “New Media and Comics” with Kevin O’Neill, Daniel Merlin Goodbrey and Johan De Smedt. Strip Turnhout Festival, 9-10 December 2011. (chair)
- “International collaborations between festivals” with Rachid Alik, Paul Gravett, Didier Pasamonik. Strip Turnhout Festival, 9-10 December 2011. (panelist)
- “Afternoon Tea around British Comics. Comics professionals from Belgium and the UK meet.”, Comics Centre Brussels, 19 May 2011. (organiser and chair)
- “Public funding cuts: an opportunity to generate new ways of supporting culture?”, Benelux Innovators Group, 21 March 2011. (organiser and chair)
- “Engaging with audiences: Cultural Professionals from Belgium and the UK share ideas and good practice”, Benelux Innovators Group, 22 October 2010. (organiser and chair)
I took acting classes and have been active as an amateur actor between 1997 until 2002. Although I have decided not to pursue a career in acting, I am always open to experimenting with storytelling in front of audiences.
Entre 1996 et 2002, j'ai suivi des cours de théâtre en académie mais n'ai pas poursuivi une carrière dans le théâtre. Je reste cependant ouverte aux expérimentations autour de la création sous toutes ses formes.
- Public performance with the Earthalujah Choir, a New York based activist performance group, Amsterdam, 10 July 2011.
- Comédienne et assistante à la mise en scène. Le retour au désert, Bernard Marie-Koltès. Mise en scène de Geneviève Damas. Présenté au Festival Koltès (Bruxelles) et à La Fabrique de théâtre (Frameries, Mons), 1998-9.
- Diction, déclamation et art dramatique. Académies d'Etterbeek et d'Auderghem, 1997-2002.
- Improvisation et introduction au théâtre, Théâtre du Pré-Vert, Bruxelles, 1996-1997.